Chin Refugee Committee Delhi

Advocacy and help for Chin refugees in Delhi

Chin refugee seriously injured in kitchen fire

Posted by crcnewdelhi on September 20, 2011

20 September 2011: Source- Khonumthung news

A Chin refugee staying in New Delhi, India was seriously injured on 10 September after a fire broke out in his kitchen, where there are no windows.

Khonumthung has learnt that Mr. Kio Luai Hrang Lung (Kio Luai) (30) son of Mr. Khua Tan and Mrs. Khuang Zi from Hakha town, Chin state had serious burns almost all over his body after gas leaked and caught fire in the small kitchen.

“I went out to buy some vegetables while cooking meat on the gas stove, when I returned the gas was not burning and I smelt the odour of gas. But I thought not much gas had leaked so I lit the lighter. The fire broke out immediately,” said Mr. Kio Luai.

The incident happened during the ceremony of ordination for Pastor Abraham Ram Lian Khar, Chin Believer Church (CBC) based in New Delhi.

In this regard, the new Chairman of the Chin Refugee Committee (CRC) has submitted a letter to the Chief Commission of the UNHCR, New Delhi requesting support for Mr. Kio Luai on 17 September, but there is no response yet.

“Friends and neighbours in New Delhi helped me a lot financially, especially members of the CBC. I got some financial support and rice from them. I’m very thankful,” said Mr. Kio Luai.

Mr. Kio Luai was admitted to Deen Dayal Upadhyay (DDU) civil hospital in New Delhi but no special treatment was given by duty doctors though he had 40% burns, so he is now being treated in his house.

Mr. Kio Luai and his family have been in New Delhi since 1 July 2008 having fled persecution by the military government in Burma.

After financial support by UNHCR, New Delhi was discontinued in 2010 he has been doing odd jobs and earning Rs. 2000-3000 a month for his family’s survival.

Sorry, the comment form is closed at this time.

 
%d bloggers like this: